11.17.2010

Tacos El Caminero, Mexico City and Taco's Chester Recipe



The sign says 'el' but the menu says 'del' it's all the same really. The food is still great. Caminar is the verb' to walk', so literally, the man who walks... but the idiom is some kind of road worker or laborer. A guy who works hard all day and then needs a really good taco.

My gourmedar did not fail me. I was walking around this great neighborhood where all the streets are named after rivers, right behind the gold angel. I saw a lot of taco stands etc. but this one called to me.

Very simple place. I was drawn to the Tacos Chile Chester. Invented by some guy in the kitchen, not sure how long ago. I ordered 3 tacos and a got a plate full of this wonderful mixture with 8 tortillas on top. It was easily enough for two.

I was so inspired by this tastiness that I decided to recreate the recipe at home as best I could. See recipe below... came out pretty nicely. YUM-EEEEEEEE.

Serves 4.

1 lb of sausage mix. Great if it's chorizo but I used mild italian. (if it comes in casing, squeeze it out)
1 large pasilla chile chopped finely
1 white onion chopped finely
4 slices of bacon, chopped into small bits
1/4 tsp of cumin, corriander, cinnamon, smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste

saute onions and peppers first until they soften and start to caramelize.
add the bacon and let it brown
add the sausage do the same
cook over medium heat
let it all get good and brown and greasy... about 25 min.

Just before serving, sprinkly 1/2 to 3/4 cup of white (jack or manchego) cheese over the top. It will melt. Turn off heat right away but don't stir. You will load this mixture into your warmed tortilla right from the pan cheese side up.

Garnish with fresh cilantro, avocado (if you like) and a big spoonful of your favorite salsa.

DELISH

No comments:

Post a Comment