1.09.2012

Xmas in Mexico + Tacos = Luv

Agave cactus flower used as a Xmas tree when dried

I have had a tradition for the last 5 years of spending either Thanksgiving and/or Xmas in Mexico. The first time I went to the small beach town 1 hour N. of Cabo called Pescadero was in 2001. By 2007 I was lucky enough to own a small piece of cactus there. And so, every year I go to enjoy the ocean, the people and the tacos.

The High Desert near Catavania

The world famous surf break 'Cerritos' is located about 1 mile from my house down a dusty dirt road. (I go in by the back entrance along the beach). I also usually drive down to Baja from the USA. It's about 22 hours from Tijuana to Todos Santos. I usually take 2 days stopping in Guerrero Negro which is the halfway point and the border between Baja Sur and the Northern part of Baja.

The salsa at Puro Michoacan in Pescadero, BCS

Of course there are other things to eat there as well! That's the hard part. There is a great gourmet restaurant in Todos Santos called Michael's at the Gallery (art gallery and Asian influenced gourmet). There is an amazing restaurant in a field called Carlito's. There I had won ton soup, sushi and fresh crab. There is the amazing food at my friend Isabel's bed and breakfast www.casablancabb.com and also two great cafes for upscale coffees, salad, quiche, croissant and sandwiches; La Esquina and Baja Beans.

Raja & Queso Vampiro at Asi Asado in Cabo

Most or all of this has been documented on my Baja House blog for all things Cabo, Pescadero, Todos Santos and La Paz. All in the S. of Baja California, Mexico.

On this particular trip, I had 3 great new taco experiences: Asi Asado in Cabo, Puro Michoacan in Pescadero, Taqueria Viva Mexico! in Guererro Negro. Taqueria Viva Mexico is open late and located on the main drag about halfway between the hwy and the beach. It is right near the Ballenas Motel where I also like to stay. These are pitstop tacos and the whole town has a 'passing through' feel. G. Negro is a whale watching hub and lots of tours go out from there.

salsa platter at Taqueria Viva Mexico in Guererro Negro

After being on the road for 12 hours, nothing hits the spot like a good taco. The pastor tacos were really good though they put an onion on top of the spit instead of a pineapple. I even got a few that I ate the next morning on my way South. One nice thing about tacos in Baja is that you can always substitute flour for corn tortillas. It's a nice option. In the US alot of places only have large flour tortillas for burritos.

breakfast fruit plate at www.casablancabb.com

I can't say enough about the experience of driving the Baja Peninsula. Not only are there GREAT tacos to be had, the beautiful landscape takes your breath away at every turn.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
ox The Taco Maven

No comments:

Post a Comment